Saturday, November 20, 2010

Daddy’s Home is not Mommy’s Home


“What’s my destiny, Mama?”
Forrest Gump knew the answer because it was in the script. Only the Lord knows how my script ends, but I will strive to have future generations say “Despite the obstacles, he was the Best Dad Ever.”
My son, Nikolas, lives in central Indiana and me in northern Arizona. I moved here in July 2005 to take a new job. The plan between Nick’s mom and me – discussed and formulated before I accepted the job offer – was for me to get stabilized and then have Nick and his mom join me. Two weeks after I got here, Nick’s mom destroyed that plan.
“I’ve changed my mind. We’re not moving. If this family is more important than your job, then you’ll move back to Indiana and find something to do here.”
I had just spent four months scouring central Indiana for a job and was rejected. I couldn’t get Target to hire me when it had a huge sign on the front door that said “Now Hiring.” I didn’t see the logic in giving up a management-level position in the field I was educated and experienced in for a cashier’s job at the corner convenience store.
Nick now has two homes – his primary home in Indiana and his vacation home in Arizona. I will not let Nick forget he has a father who loves him. I call him every two or three days; I send him notes and occasional gifts; and I never, ever, EVER miss my visitation time.
It’s no secret that I ache over this arrangement, but I refuse to let it defeat me. It could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment